Dogs are very social and love spending time with you, whether they’re playing a game with you or just curling up next to you on the couch. So when it comes time for you to go to work or leave the house for long periods of time, it can make your dog lonely or anxious. Try not to cure your dog’s anxiety problem by giving him even more attention—you’ll only create a vicious cycle of neediness. Likewise, never get angry when your dog acts clingy as you prepare to leave.
- Your puppy will be healthy and happy spending the day alone as long as he is exercised in the morning and evening.
- Give him toys to play with while you’re away, access to fresh water, and puppy-proof your home.
- Try to keep him in an enclosed area, when you’re out. Dogs are den animals, so they feel safer in their own small space such as a large crate. This will protect both your puppy and your belongings.
- Before you leave, bury toys and hide treats where he can find and “dig” them up. Keeping a TV or radio on can also provide “company” for your pooch.
Helps with socialisation and provides an environment which gives them the opportunity to exercise while you’re away.
Arrange for a professional dog walker to come to your home when you’re out. This may happen once or twice a day, and may involve other dogs.
Arrange for a sitter to drop into your home once or twice a day to feed and play with your pet. This person can be a friend or neighbour. Be sure expectations are spelled out and emergency contact information is exchanged.
What to keep in mind
- Ask for references for dog walkers or day care.
- Protect your puppy. Have up-to-date ID tags and/or a microchip.
- Leave your contact information with your puppy’s caregiver for emergencies.
- When selecting a day care or dog walker make sure they require proof of immunization, screen dogs for good temperament, and put only compatible dogs together.
- Ensure that your puppy will be walked during the day at day care. Ensure facility enclosures and play areas are secure so your puppy can’t escape or be stolen.
- If your puppy will be staying at home he should be walked just before you leave for the day and as soon as you get home.