Like many dogs that shed and play outside, German Shepherds take some maintenance to keep them clean and your home in order. Here are a few tips to maintaining your dog’s beautiful coat.
1. With a plush double coat, daily brushing is important to lowering the shedding factor with your GSD. The use of a de-shedder comb can help maintain your dogs fur.
2. The German Shepherd coat has a lot of natural oils in it. For a dog with a healthy coat and skin, a bath is only really necessary once every 4-5 months. Over-bathing the GSD coat strips the natural oils and leaves the skin dry.
3. German Shepherds “blow,” or change, their coats twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. This is when the most brushing and bathing is needed.
4. As active dogs, German Shepherds tend to have shorter nails, however, every once in a while their nails need to be cut. Use caution when trimming the nails because German Shepherds have black nails, making them hard to see. Be careful not to cut the nails too short.
5. While German Shepherd Dogs don’t typically have floppy ears, they do have deep ears, which require regular cleaning and maintenance. Ears should be checked to avoid a buildup of wax and debris, which can cause an infection.
6. Known for being a more stoic dog, your GSD might not let you know if the salt from snow hurts his paws. Stay alert to what your dog’s paws look like, and check regularly for scratches or bruises.
shared by www.wedoglovers.com to boost doglovers community….